Maui Bake Sale for Japan is partnering with a national effort that started in San Francisco. Last year they raised $23,000 for Haiti. The funds will go to Peace Winds Japan, one of the largest Japanese disaster response NGOs. 100% of the money will go to ground relief: medical and sanitary supplies, blankets and clothing, and, as available, long-term reconstruction. Peace Winds America is a 501(c)3 organization. All donations are tax deductible.
So far, donors include:
Pineapple Grill: mini-pineapple upside down cakes
Leoda’s (debut of new Olowalu bakery) : macaroons
Monkeypod Kitchen: coconut cream pies
Lahaina Grill: triple berry pies
Down to Earth: cookies and scones
Cakewalk / Ono Gelato: cookies and bars
Maui Culinary Academy: cookies
If you plan on donating baked goods, please follow these guidelines:
- avoid cream-based items that require refrigeration (both locations are outdoors)
- include a list of ingredients
- include suggested donation price
- individually wrap each item (little baggies, plastic wrap, whatever will make items easier to store & sell)
- bring items in a container you do not need returned
- Japanese treats and healthy/vegan desserts are welcome
- the fancier the treat = the more money for Japan!
Non-food items (and origami paper—we’ll be folding 1,000 paper cranes at both locations) are also welcome. Please contact us before bringing non-food donations to make sure we can accommodate them.
When your treats are ready, you have three drop-off choices:
- Deliver to the Maui Culinary Academy the Night Before:
- We’ll be accepting deliveries between 4-6 pm, Friday April 1, Maui Culinary Academy at the UH-Maui College Campus, 310 West Kaahumanu Avenue, Kahului, HI
- Bring to the Maui Ag Fest the Day Of:
- We’ll be accepting deliveries between 9-1 pm, Saturday April 2, Maui Ag Fest in the Taste Education Tent, 1670 Honoapiilani Highway, Wailuku
- Note: There is a slight chance that the Maui Ag Fest will only be able to sell items from commercial kitchens. If so, all the home-baked goods will be sold at the Swap Meet.
- Bring to the Swap Meet the Day Of:
- We’ll be accepting deliveries between 7-10 am, Saturday April 2, Maui Swap Meet (text or call us for exact location of booth), 310 West Kaahumanu Avenue, Kahului, HI
If you can’t make it to any of these times/locations, please contact Shannon at (808) 205-7273 or email Shannon [at] mauimagazine [dot] net.
We will have 1-2 tables at each location. We’ll be selling delicious pastries and folding paper cranes. Come talk story with us! If you’d like to volunteer for a table shift, let us know.
Thanks again for your wonderful support! We can’t wait to see what treats you bring to the table!